Monday, February 16, 2015

Midnight Monday: Where The Road Takes Me By Jay McLean



I had to feature Where The Road Takes Me by Jay McLean because it is so amazing and it affected me so much! First, I am going to tell you why the story/author is so great, and then I will share how it affected me personally.

This book is filled with laughter, heartbreak, healing, and fun. It is a book about love, and in this case, a girl's life long journey to get there. If you have read Jay McLean's books then you think you know how she writes, but you are wrong. Something that you need to understand about Jay is that she is so different and unique from any other author out there. She gives you stories of love, like the More Than Series, and then she gives you something so completely different that you think a different person wrote it. BUT she did write it because you can see her personality and her awesomeness in the book, so it was definitely her. I can't even imagine what other books she has in mind because I will definitely not have any idea of her writing style for those and that is why I love her (and you should too)!

This story is different, and I understand some might find it hard to connect with, but don't diss it right away. This book needs some time to be processed and thought about. Some will automatically connect with it. The reason it is hard to form a relationship with this book is because the main character, Chloe, is so different from other female characters we see. She completely separates herself from the world and she doesn't want to make connections with anyone. In comes Blake, and he turns her world around by making her care even though she doesn't want to. This is a journey of their love. Blake is so loving that it is quick to like him. Through his actions that he does for Chloe, we fall more and more in love with him.

Another important character is Josh. He is amazing and sweet and so Josh. Well back to the lovebirds,  their relationship takes time, but something that is so important in this book is the color red. It is such a powerful color and it has such meaning. I loved it so much, but I will not tell you what it means because it will completely ruin the story for you, and I will not do that. That is what makes this book important to me.

What makes it unexpectedly phenomenal is what it means to me. I am going to share why this book affected me and my life. I really don't share my feelings that often. I usually just share the emotions that the books make me feel, but in the real world it is hard for me to do. I know my family loves me and all, but we just never say "I love you" to each other. I guess that is why it is hard for me to express love and feelings to other people.

I was extremely happy to receive an ARC of this book and I read it the day I received it. I didn't really connect with Chloe but I love the story. Later that week I heard some not so good news that tore my world apart. My grandma was in the hospital. Tears just kept pouring out of my eyes non stop and it hurt so much. Now, I am going to make a list to show you why I love my grandma so much, why she is so important, and reasons why you should love her too.

1. She is the most amazing cook. She has a buffet of all kinds of food and desserts and she tries to feed you everything. When it comes time to leave she gives you everything but the kitchen sink.

2. She is such a feisty lady. Her feistiness makes you laugh on a regular basis.

3. For the past 3 years I have been living with my granny and taking care of her because of her age so when I heard she was sick it broke my heart because I don't want to see her suffer.

4. Quick story: I had cleaned my room and I decided to throw away this stick in the trash because I saw no reason for it in my room! Next thing I know it is next to my bed. I thought I was going crazy but then I ask my grandma and she said she put it there. I was like ??? I asked her why and she responded "Es para si entra un fulano por tu ventana le metes un trancazo." I just couldn't control my laughter. I still can't control it! So for those of you who don't know Spanish it means that it is a precaution for if a stranger goes through my window. She says that I should get the stick and whack the stranger in the head with it!

5. Ok last one but I can sure think of so many more. Even when she was weak at the hospital she still showed her feistiness and her sense of humor. She doesn't want to worry. She thinks of us before she thinks of herself. She is the most unselfish person.

Ok, I think that is enough so I will continue with why the book is important to me. When all this happened with my granny I wanted to close myself off to the world. I wanted to be alone. Right then and there I connected with Chloe in a way I thought I never would. I understood her pain. I understood why she wanted to be invisible. I understood why she didn't want to love or be loved. I understood why I shouldn't be those things. I learned from her that I shouldn't close myself off, but instead open my vulnerability to those close to me so they can help carry my burden. If it wasn't for this book or for Chloe I think I would of closed myself off because it would of been easier at the time, but in the long run it would have hurt me more. My granny is my red. I don't know what is going to happen to her. We are all still unsure. The doctors don't know if it is cancer yet but everyday that I am with her I experience red and that is all I ask for now.

I just want to give a special thanks the More Ladies (Facebook group: The More Series Lovers). That is what I like to call them because they give me MORE than just laughs, MORE than just smiles, MORE than just happy times. They share their thoughts, emotions, and words that make my day brighter and lighter. They are like a community to me and that means a lot to me. Thank you ladies for turning my world red. You are all amazing and everyday your posts and your crazy responses that make me laugh turn my world a little more red each day.

For my full review of Where The Road Takes Me click Here.

Description of the book:


Chloe has one plan for the future, and one plan only: the road. She’s made a promise to herself: don’t let anyone in, and don’t let anyone love her. She’s learned the hard way what happens if she breaks her rules. So she’s focused on being invisible and waiting until she can set out on the road—her dream of freedom, at least for a little while.
Blake Hunter is a basketball star who has it all—everything about him looks perfect to those on the other side of his protective walls. He can’t let anyone see the shattered pieces behind the flawless facade or else all his hopes and dreams will disappear.
One dark night throws Chloe and Blake together, changing everything for Blake. For Chloe, nothing changes: she has the road, and she’s focused on it. But when the so-called perfect boy starts to notice the invisible girl, they discover that sometimes with love, no one knows where the road may lead.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...