Monday, January 19, 2015

Midnight Monday: Lailah by Nikki Kelly


Lailah by Nikki Kelly: 5 out of 5 stars
This weeks Midnight Monday goes to Lailah by Nikki Kelly. For sure this book will have you up past midnight! It had me up way later than that and I got addicted to this book pretty quickly. I read it too fast and now that I am done I wish I could have slowed down but that was kind of impossible because it was so good. I found out about this book because I follow Dana on twitter and her blog. She would always mention Lailah so I decided to give it a try. Thanks for leading me to this book Dana! I loved it and it deserves this Midnight Monday title.

So lets talk a little bit about my book boyfriend. So there are two good choices in this book to choose from. Gabriel or Jonah? Angel or Vampire? This really well written love triangle was very conflicting. It was a tough choice but after a really long process I knew all along who it would be. Team Jonah all the way! I do love my vampires and bad boys but Jonah is so much more than that to me. He really melted my heart towards the end of Lailah!

Look at this quote: "I might desire the darkness within her, but I fell in love with the light that I heard in her laughter."

How could that not want you to be Team Jonah all the way?! The whole books is quite incredible and unique. The twists and turns along the way make this the perfect book.

So I was going to do a separate review of this book but I might as well write it now since it is all I can thing about! It took me a while to even attempt writing it because it had me so conflicted and I just needed to process it. So now that I have lets begin. I just mentioned earlier who I would choose so that clues you in that there is a love triangle in this book. These guys are so different and the love triangle is a good example of how love triangles should be done. It is a slow process (well at least for Jonah) that happens throughout the book and it is not sudden at all. Gabriel is a different story because he has known Lailah for quite some time.

So we meet Lailah aka Cessie in a pub. So that is what confused me at first. It starts off with Cessie so I was all like what does Lailah have to do with this? Don't be confused or alarmed at this because it will all make sense eventually. Aside from some minor confusion at times, Nikki Kelly's writing is great! The book and her writing is haunting. Yeah, that is a the best word to describe it. The prologue was well written and a perfect way to start because it will later help you understand the origin of Lailah. 

It does start off confusing at first because we learn little things along the way but once she runs into Jonah things start coming together. The part of the book that I really loved were the memories that Lailah has. They help us understand her past and they take us with her. Her memories are very interesting but they do not show us enough. I want to know more. This book has me so intrigued and those memories weren't enough for me and that is why I need the next book now!

Gabriel helps us with understanding the past some but he frustrated me. He is not very forthcoming in telling us what he knows until later in the book. Let me describe Gabriel to you some. Gabriel is an Angel but he is not a fallen angel. He was sent to Earth for a purpose which I will not tell you. I loved hearing stories from him because it things really came together and we get to understand about Styclar which was one of my favorite parts.

Gabriel is helping vampires which sounds kind of weird because what angel helps vampires? That is exactly why I love this book though. Gabriel is trying to help these vampires be free from their creators. The vampires are tied to them but Gabriel is trying to get them away and give them a chance to be better. Jonah is one of those vampires and I can see the sweet side he has towards Cessie. 

Cessie/Lailah is the main one in all of this and once the vampires know who/what she is she is being chased. Not good at all but this is what makes the book good. The the crazy turns that are in this book make it so good and addicting. The ending about killed me and then that sneak peak of the next book really did kill me. It broke my heart and it left me in need of the next book. I seriously can't wait for the next book!

Description:

The girl knows she’s different. She doesn’t age. She has no family. She has visions of a past life, but no clear clues as to what she is, or where she comes from. But there is a face in her dreams – a light that breaks through the darkness. She knows his name is Gabriel.

On her way home from work, the girl encounters an injured stranger whose name is Jonah. Soon, she will understand that Jonah belongs to a generation of Vampires that serve even darker forces. Jonah and the few like him, are fighting with help from an unlikely ally – a rogue Angel, named Gabriel.

In the crossfire between good and evil, love and hate, and life and death, the girl learns her name: Lailah. But when the lines between black and white begin to blur, where in the spectrum will she find her place? And with whom?

Gabriel and Jonah both want to protect her. But Lailah will have to fight her own battle to find out who she truly is.
 



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...